Social Justice Posters - Graham
The social justice movement I decided to go with is LGBTQIA+ rights. I decided to go with this movement because I have important people in my life who are part of the community. While not being a part of the community myself, I realize the privilege I have as a cisgender male in today's society and want to use said privilege in any way possible to advocate for equal rights for all who fall under that umbrella. Also, the quote I chose was tweeted out by Gerard Way after the Orlando nightclub shooting in 2016 and he's been a large influence on my life + an advocate for LGBTQIA+ rights as well. The quote is as follows, "I've always just wanted everyone to be able to be who they want to be, proudly, enthusiastically- freely."
The first poster I designed is 11x17 with a black background and white coloring and Chaparral font. I focused on hierarchy and balance for this poster by having the main part of the quote start centered at the top with the last 3 words spaced out evenly on both sides of the poster. I used different font styles(bold, italics) with each word on the way down so it would become more pronounced & emphasized the more you read it. I also chose black and white because those are the main colors that My Chemical Romance used on two of their albums.
![]() |
| Social Justice Poster 1, black background with white lettering, Chaparral font |
The second poster I decided to design is 8.5x11 with a yellow background and red lettering and Helvetica font. This time, I decided to focus on alignment while designing this poster. I aligned everything to the left except for Gerard Way's name at the bottom, and liked how it flowed down the poster. Following the design of my first poster, I chose colors that really complimented each other and wanted the design to "pop". At first I went with a red background and yellow lettering, but didn't like the way it turned out so I switched the coloring around. I also bolded the last word at the bottom again to make it the most impactful at the end.



Hi Graham,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your risk-taking and creativity with different colors and fonts! The quote/emphasis almost reads a little differently across the three due to your design choices. Additionally, since I associate Gerard Way with MCR so strongly, it's interesting that your designs don't use the aesthetics typically associated with him/the band. It kind of "divorces" the content from the speaker, which I don't think is a bad thing. It allows the quote to stand on it's own, which is really cool!
Hi Graham,
ReplyDeleteI love that you incorporated a range of colors in your designs, but still adapted characteristics to create a cohesive collage. The first thing I noticed about your designs is contrast. To me, this conveys that you are meaning to illustrate a bold message which pairs beautifully with the quote that you chose. I have also hoped that my words and actions would convey support that people in the LGBTQIA+ should feel freedom to be confident and comfortable in their sexuality. I think that Gerard Way puts this into words in a wonderful way, and your designs help to emphasize key terms in his statement. The use of balance in your second design is interesting in that, you take up similar space on the page with body text and then used leading to space out the stronger words. This type of design calls attention to the main point of the statement, and commands the direction of the narrative for viewers. Balance is a theme in your designs, and I think you did a great job of becoming creative and experimental with the way you approached the assignment.