A Year in Sidewalks
![]() |
| Boston Common; pencil & eraser; 5.5"x8.5" |
![]() |
| Boston Public Garden; 3"x3" |
I think my process was different, based on where I was. Usually, I would search for some kind of public space I could look for cracks in the sidewalk, locate an interesting one, and find some bench or patch of grass I could sit and draw it from. If there wasn’t a good spot to draw it from, I would take a picture and then sketch it out later from home. If there was, I’d decide what medium I thought would best represent the crack. I usually started off with a light pencil and then I would go over it either in pen or in darker shades of pencil. I think there was still a pretty wide variety in the in-person drawings, though—I think the Eastie drawing is one of my favorites because of its simplicity, while the Boston Common one could have probably used a lot more thought in its composition, and I think I probably was also overthinking the shading of the asphalt and the weight of the lines. Interestingly, both the drawings I did of Downtown felt a little clumsier. I think part of the issue is that Downtown has always felt very sterile and corporate to me, especially compared to other neighborhoods. Last year, it was always a transit point for me—a means to get from one neighborhood to another, not a final destination. Even though I know this year will be different, I still haven’t really grown to appreciate Downtown yet, and I think it shows.
![]() |
| Fields Corner Station, Dorchester; 11"x14";colored pencil, pencil & eraser |
Sometimes before drawing, sometimes after, if I was in a neighborhood I hadn’t been in for a while, I’d go check in on some of my favorite places. In Eastie, this was a bakery my City Year team used to go to all the time on our way to school or to the T, a place called Lolly’s—which had apparently been renovated and looked shiny, new, and beautiful, and it was still hopping with people from the neighborhood. In Dorchester, it was the walk to the liquor store I used to make with an old roommate. In Allston, it was the South Asian store I went to get supplies from on my first day living in Boston when I decided I needed to make some dal bhat to feel at home (although this time, I picked up some frozen methi parathas). It was like I had made myself a tour of my time in Boston, of all my old haunts. A year really isn’t that long, but I guess I collected a lot of pieces of the city in my mind in that short amount of time.
![]() |
| Boston Public Library Courtyard; 26"x20"; pen |







Hi Rakshya,
ReplyDeleteI like your design concept and your work! I can tell you are a delicate girl from both of the picture and your text and you are rich in emotion to the past year. I also like the layout of your blog, simple but perfect combination of text and pictures.