Cracks Along the Commute
Paul Cifarelli
Media Design
Studio
Cracks in the
Sidewalk
9/17/2019
I chose these
cracks in particular to draw because they are along my morning commute. As I walk from my apartment to my T stop, it
gives me time to observe the surroundings and be on the look-out for cracks in
the sidewalk. Most of these cracks are
either as result of wear and tear naturally over time or can be a deliberate
pattern. The cracks are also accompanied
by landmarks I see every day and thought stood out to me.
Those landmarks are my first apartment, a small corner store called Vivant
Vintage, a bridge over the Mass Pike, Regina Pizzeria, the Harvard Ave stop on
the B Green Line, the videogame café Balance Patch, and the Engagement
Lab. These cracks are linked together by
all the route I take in the morning to get to Emerson. If I had to give these series a name, it
would be “Cracks Along the Commute”.
When it came to
creating the pieces, I kept things relatively simple. Some pieces just focused on the basic
linework of the crack while others were accompanied by something surrounding
the crack, such as graffiti or train tracks or patterned bricks. The pieces that involved more than just the
crack needed color to properly illustrate the surroundings because I thought it
would make the pieces more visually interesting. The pieces that had color were all done with
pencils while the ones without color, just the crack, were done with pen and
marker. I used a pencil to sketch out
each piece, then added the colored pencils and marker/pen on after. In addition, a ruler was used to set up
perfect straight lines so I could be precise as possible when drawing the
cracks.
My experience with
the different mediums was familiar, since I’ve done work similar to this before. During my undergrad program, I was tasked
with these kinds of assignments every week.
The process of exploring, taking pictures, and then drawing with
different papers and tools all reminded me of previous art classes I’ve
taken. Aside from class assignments, I
also try to find time to draw in my spare time, so this assignment was right up
my ally. I honestly preferred pencil
over pen and marker because I like being able to erase and correct my mistakes,
unlike pen and marker. Overall, the
experience was fun because I enjoyed exploring more on my commute and being
more observant of the smaller details in my surroundings.
Sidewalk in front of my apartment on Franklin St, pencil sketch then marker
Sidewalk next to Vivant Vintage, a small corner vintage store on Lincoln St, Pen
On the bridge over the Mass Pike, pencil sketch and colored pencil
Parking lot of Regina Pizzeria in Allston on Cambridge St, pencil sketch then pen and color pencil
Green Line B Harvard Ave stop, pencil sketch then color pencil
Sidewalk in front of Balance Patch on Commonwealth Ave, pencil sketch then color pencil
Side walk in front of the Engagement Lab on Boylston St, pencil sketch then marker







I love simplistic yet bold your artistic style is. The FEED YOUR SOUL is a nice play on expectations. I really get a strong sense of what emotion you are going for.
ReplyDelete