CRACKS IN DAILY LIFE
I found the assignment very interesting as I never had a class for drawing before. Trying to discover different cracks in the sidewalk provides a new perspective for me to learn the city. Boston is a wonderful place where people can easily find many historical buildings, roads and different types of cracks. Sometimes on the way from downtown to my apartment or other places (like Fenway, Allston), I noticed there are many cracks that people may came across everyday, such as cracks on walls, streets, holes and bricks, etc. As a new comer, I felt a bit embarrassed to draw in front of the public, so for the first drawing assignment I decided to take photos of them and I focused on the details of the cracks.
As to the drawing part, it is not difficult to figure out which crack I wanted to share. I chose representative cracks from different constructions or items, but I did spend some time in visualizing how deep or how wide the cracks were. I tried to switch between bold, regular and light lines. I was also thinking about using light or dark shades but actually it did not work that well on these cracks. I did not use any colors as I was not sure how each color works on the cracks.
In terms of mediums for drawing, I prefer pencils than markers, because I think pencils are more friendly to people who do not have a lot of experience in drawing. I tried different types of pencils (from B to 6B) when I was shading. It was interesting to explore how use the same color to express what I wanted to present to the audience.
In fact, I was surprised to notice that there are actually a fews cracks on the wall of my bedside and study desks, but I realized this only after I started intentionally observing cracks around me for this assignment. This is an interesting finding because I was actually passing the bedside every morning and night, but I did not even notice the existence of cracks. The cracks I choose to draw are actually pretty common as people can see in the sidewalks, but do people really pay attention to these cracks? Cracks are everywhere in our life, and most of the times we are just too familiar with them to notice.







Comments
Post a Comment