Facing the Vases

Drawing Upside-Down Assignment, 8.5"x11", pencil
This week we challenged our eyes and minds as we tried to transcend the right and left brain restraints. Both the "Vases and Faces" and the upside-down drawing exercises were difficult to complete; because I could tell that I was drawing a face or a person, my brain wanted the drawing to look different than the lines actually represented on the page. I did my best to focus on what I was actually seeing in terms of line and shape rather than what my mind was interpreting the images as. 
Vases and Faces Assignment, 9"x7", pencil
In choosing an object for my still life, I wanted something relatively simple that I could envision representing multiple times in different ways. I also wanted an object that would be interesting, and even a little challenging, to draw. I chose to draw a small ceramic pitcher I had at home. 
Colored pencil pitcher, 8"x7"

In creating my three drawings, I experimented with different media, paper, lighting situations, and positioning of objects. In my colored pencil drawing, I tried to accurately represent the colors that were being reflected in the pitcher's surface and its surroundings. I used a direct lamp source (in the form of a very precariously perched lamp), and challenged the way my logical brain was thinking about this situation; I knew that I was looking at a white pitcher, and yet, when I focused on what I was actually seeing, there were multiple colors reflected in the glossy surface of the pitcher. I tried to represent that here. I used some of the paper that Elisa gave us in class earlier in the semester. I liked the way the texture of the paper reacted with the colored pencils, and allowed me to create more highly saturated areas and less saturated areas as well. 
Pen pitcher, 8.5"x6.5"

I then created my pen drawing, in which I used several different thicknesses of pen to represent the same pitcher. Creating this drawing felt more minimalistic than the colored pencil drawing. I was more focused on representing the shape and the shadows of the pitcher, using cross-hatching and contour lines to create some depth. 
Sharpie pitcher, 10.5"x8.5"

Thirdly, I created my Sharpie drawing on construction paper. I wanted to experiment with a representation of the pitcher using a limited color palette. I used yellow, orange, and purple Sharpies on yellow paper to create three different values that were being represented in the pitcher. This drawing was challenging to make, because I was trying to keep it relatively minimalistic, but had trouble knowing when I should stop adding to the piece. I also drew this from a different angle, looking at the pitcher from a different direction.

During the process of creating my drawing, I really enjoyed the non-symmetrical shape I was trying to represent. There were parts of the pitcher that were challenging to represent in all three drawings, and there were those that I really enjoyed. Overall, I thought this week was a great lesson in learning to deconstruct how we think about the things that we see, and how to subvert those assumptions in our brain.
Full exhibition photographed together. 

Comments

  1. Hi Kathleen,
    I really like your still life drawing because it uses a lot of colors, light and a lot of different mediums. At the same time, I think your upside-down piece is actually very balanced, although it is different from the original picture. Because this is not the same, make this piece more unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham