Green in the cracks


All my drawings

After I knew the topic of the assignment, I started to do something I never have done before observing the cracks in the sidewalk. So I walked and observed when I was on my way home. And something caught my attention, that was the grass between the cracks, those little, tiny green that I never pay attention to just popped into my mind. I found out that these greens are kind of cute and interesting to observe more, so I decided to use them as the main concept of the assignment.

8”x 10”, Pencil/ Colored pencil
The first one
This piece is my first drawing. The root of the tree extended to the sidewalk, so the cracks looked pretty complicated. I wanted to use colors to light up the grass, so my choice of drawing tools was pencils and color pencils. But I think I was still trying to figure what was the best drawing tool for me to draw the cracks out.


8”x 10”, Pencil/ Colored pencil
The one on my way home.
This was my second drawing piece. This crack was right in the street of my home. I think I used the same method to draw in this piece too. However, I tried to draw the crack with the darker drawing pencils in the one. It turned out that the crack in this drawing looked more realistic than the first one.


3”x 4”, Black pen
The one on a little napkin. 
I decided to not only focus on the crack but also the tree’s truck because I wanted people to image colors in it though I only used a black pen.


8”x 10”, Pencil/ Colored pencil
The one only with a little grass inside. 
I liked the pattern of this crack. This time I tried to use more drawing pencils to deepen the look of the crack. There were some twigs and leaves inside the crack. When I was drawing this one, I found out that it was not easy to let the colors of the twigs and the leaves pop up. It became kind of chaos in it.


8”x 10”, Pencil/ Colored pencil
The one took me one hour.
It was also interesting that I could discover the changes in the weather when I was observing those cracks. This one reminded me of Autumn. In this one, I tried a new way to draw the background with the dots. I liked the way it became, it became softer and warmer.


2.5”x 3”, Pencil/ Colored pencil
The one with lots of leaves
I tried to use more colors in this one, not like previous drawings which only use one or two colors to highlight the grass I wanted to make this drawing look colorful. I also found out that I really need to buy more colors of colored pencils...


8”x 10”, Black pen
The last one
After I drew the sixth one which looked really colorful, I choose to use only a black pen in the last one to see how it will look like. I focused on the outlines not details in this one. After I finished it, I think this one turned out to be good. When I saw this crack in the sidewalk, I felt lonely, this drawing also gave me a sense of sadness.  

I know that I am not good at drawing, so I set up a goal for this assignment as well. I wanted to try different methods to draw as possible as I can. Every time when I drew a new one, I think about what drawing tool I should use first, and how I can make differences in this one with the previous one. So as you can see, these 7 drawings don’t look very consistent, they showed up in different ways. For me, it was very interesting and enjoying to discover different ways to draw.

Comments

  1. I really love that you chose to focus on the plants/greenery--I think the viewer really gets a sense of wholeness from all of these pieces, from the interaction of nature and concrete. I also think the use of a napkin for the drawing of the crack by the tree is brilliant--it really gives you the texture of the tree and the sidewalk. I love the contrast between the last two--emotionally, it's like the change of seasons, from fall to winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham