LEAVING THE HOMELAND
A collection of my side walk story
Before i begun sidewalk drawings, i wanted to portray what it means to me to leave my home, my comfort zone and my family to come to the United States. My mother, understandably, was concerned about my safety in light of the current politics and also the documented police conduct when it comes to dealing with minorities. I looked at the different cracks as representing part of my emotions of leaving home and you can see most of the cracks are more of smooth cracks than rough ones and cut across two or three blocks in a pavement.
The sort of smooth cracks in my narrative should represent my entry into an America that seems in turmoil politically to an outsider but also allow the outsider to come in smoothly and not disrupt the flow of things.
I looked at each crack as representing a part of my journey to Boston and the places that welcomed me here on my first weeks. So it was easy to choose from the first one at the Nairobi airport to the last one at my house in Dorchester. I chose to stick with pencil as its something that i have used before. The choice of color was also to play safe and don't mess it as i am not very comfortable with mixing colors. I wanted my drawings to be simple yet understood with the background message to it which sought to incorporate my feelings at that time.
My experience with the mediums was enjoyable especially one of the sketch books i have has this thick paper that soft and smooth and drawing on it was a pleasure. I haven't drawn things in a long time but this assignment took me back to the days in undergrad when we used to draw for fun. Maybe for the next assignment i need to be bold and play with colors and other medium like marker pens and fading techniques.
My experience with the mediums was enjoyable especially one of the sketch books i have has this thick paper that soft and smooth and drawing on it was a pleasure. I haven't drawn things in a long time but this assignment took me back to the days in undergrad when we used to draw for fun. Maybe for the next assignment i need to be bold and play with colors and other medium like marker pens and fading techniques.
Nairobi Airport Sidewalk crack. Used Pencil
A sidewalk crack on a street in South Boston on my way from the Airport. Used Pencil
Theater District sidewalk crack at Tremont Street where i did my orientation as an Emerson student. Used Pencil
Boylston Street crack where i attended my first class as an Emerson student. Used a Pen
Park Street station sidewalk crack on my way home. Used a Pencil and some colors to shade the carb
Field's Corner sidewalk crack on my way home. Used pencil and some colors
Sidewalk crack outside my apartment in Dorchester. Used pencil








Hassan, I like your concept of representing your journey to Boston through your cracks. As I mentioned in class, I really get a sense of travel from your pieces. I think you conveyed your concept well.
ReplyDelete