Still Life Drawing
--Lava

Before I did the vases and faces practice, I thought it was a very simple one. However, when I was doing the practice, I was confused, especially the right part. I even didn’t know where should be convex and where should be concave. When I got to the mouth part, I drew several wrong lines (Ken says it's a good idea to think of it as a beard).
As for the upside down drawing exercises, I started from the leg and chair part. Because there are two straight lines for the chair, I saw these as the baseline. The process of drawing is not as difficult as I might think. But the whole time I couldn't help thinking about where each line belonged. I think the most difficult part to draw is the hands. Since his fingers are crossed, it is difficult to draw the lines accurately.



![]() |
| Wine Cabinet |
When choosing still life, I plan to choose three types of paintings. The first was light versus no light, the second was external versus internal from different angles, and the third was empty versus filled.
In the comparison of light and no light, I chose to draw my wine cabinet. There are two shooting lamps in the upper part of the cabinet. When light is shot down, all the glass bottles can reflect burnish feeling. In the process of drawing, I focused on the color and contrast of the background and the bottle, as well as the feeling of light and shadow.
![]() |
| Refrigerator |
In the process of drawing the refrigerator, I focused on how the still life changed from different perspectives. The refrigerator on the front is well drawn, close to a regular rectangle. However, it is difficult to draw the side. The side lines seem to be sloping upward, but they are not harmonious after drawing.
![]() |
| Glass |
When I draw the glass, I think it is very interesting. After filling in the ice, you will find a transparent object filled with the same transparent object, creating a wonderful light and shadow effect. Then I generously made myself a cup of tequila sunrise. I love its gradient so much that I tried to interpret the beautiful gradient with a colored pencil. But because the paper I used was too rough, I don't think I did a good job with the color. When the wine is finished, the glass is left with water mist, which gives it a new feeling.
After observing and drawing different angles, lighting
and filling, I found that an object can change a lot in different situations.
In particular, the light and shadow effect produced by the light is the most
wonderful change.



Hi Lava! I really love your use of light and color--and the lights seem like they show up even better on camera than they did in person. Also, the way you showed the lights reflecting on the bottles also looks really cool-- it gives the image some warmth. The ice cubes in the tequila sunrise look great, too--it's so hard to get that form and that kind of transparency on paper, and you did a beautiful job.
ReplyDelete