Vases, Faces, Upside-Down, and Still Life
Paul Cifarelli
Media Design
Studio
Vases and Faces,
Upside Down, and Still Life
9/24/2019
The vases and
faces exercise proved to be a little challenging but was also the quickest part
of the assignment. One of the biggest
things I struggle with as an artist is drawing symmetrically. For some reason, it’s difficult for me to
replicate the same shape or line multiple times and will go out of my way to
make them perfect. Admittedly, I honestly
wanted to do this exercise digitally to make the drawing easier. I would just have to draw one line, copy,
paste, flip it horizontally, and put it next to the original line. However, I’m satisfied with how the drawing
turned out despite my weakness.
The upside-down exercise
was also a challenge, but a welcome one.
The idea of drawing something upside-down instead of right-side up threw
me for a loop. Naturally I wanted to
flip the example in the chapter right-side up and go from there, but I had to
resist. When it came to drawing, I
started from the head at the bottom of my page and worked to the body at the
top of my page. The trickiest parts were
drawing the head upside-down and crossed hands.
Hands have been and always will be my least favorite part of the human
body to draw, due to their difficulty.
Once the drawing was finished, I was actually amazed at how it came out.
When it came to drawing
my still life object, I still stuck with my two available drawing tools: pencil
and pen/marker. I wanted to use
different types of paper and make each drawing different from one another. As a
result, I used notebook paper and a sticky notepad from my realter agent’s
company, along with my already used sketchbook.
The difference between a color with shadow, black and white with shadow,
and black and white without shadows was the goal to make each still life
distinct from each other. The different
sizes in paper allowed for drawings that were almost 1:1 scale or much bigger. Finally, the choice of a simple pencil
sharpener was because I wanted my object to be easy to draw in repetition,
instead of being too complex and difficult with each drawing.
I see the object much
differently now because of spending a lot of time with it. Even though the pencil sharpener is quite
simple, there’s still little details.
For instance, the curves and ridges when it’s open, the shadows cast on
its face, to the streak of light cast on its side. Unfortunately, I didn’t possess the particular
color of the sharpener, but I tried to get close enough because even the color
is an important detail. If I wanted to
increase the details, I could’ve taken the sharpener apart and expose the
blades inside. Even without drawing
them, I know those details are there. I'm please with how each still life turned out different from the last.
The full display
Close up of the still life object, a pencil sharpener.
Is it a vase, or two faces? The debate goes on.
Right-side up drawn upside-down, or was it upside-down drawn right side up?
Color pencil still life on big drawing pad
Black and white pencil still life on notebook paper
Black and white marker still life on small sticky notepad







Comments
Post a Comment