Why I chose them

Xiaokai Chen Presents

Here is the whole picture of my works.

To begin with, before I drew, I was thinking of how should I present, in what way I can present a unique work. Then I got two ways: one is to draw the cracks in the same style, with the same color, same touch, maybe different texture, thus giving people a unified perception; the other is to try to draw the cracks differently, understanding them in different angles, like a brainstorm. Finally, I choose the latter one because when I was finding the cracks, I always don't know why I pick them for the first time, to find the reason meanwhile is to discover myself, I thought in this way I can have more fun.

So, I just followed my hearts, picking the cracks that got my attention and find a way to present why it attracted me.

1 Outline of a wizard (Boston Common)


It is easy to find myself choosing this one, for its unique outline. I found it like a man's side face with a horny helmet, just like Loki. So I draw it like a face intentionally, to present its character.

Image result for loki


2 The shape unlike others (Downstairs of the outbound Boylston Street)



I found it drew my attention because it doesn't have the traditional shape like other crakes, it is more like a hole or a part of a map.


3 Terracotta's armor (Tappan Street, Brookline)


The texture and background of this crack remind me of a Terracotta's armor. However, I don't draw a Terracotta on it because it will distract people's minds from the crack itself and I love the ordinary structure of this drawing.

Image result for 兵马俑
 Terracotta

4 Red beautiful engagement (Winthrop Rd)


I chose it like it was beautiful, I like the red dirt behind the crack, making me feel calm. So this made me want to care more about its width. Because during the last week's lesson, I know engagement is an important part of  Media Design, so I wanted to put some engagement elements into this work.



As you can see, I use a small size of colorful paper to fit the standard of the assignment. And I cut it through the cracks and made it a puzzle. In this way, when we are moving those pieces and trying to solve the puzzle, we can sense the width of the cracks through our body memory.


5 Covers on the stairs(Winthrop Rd)


When I walked on the way home, I found these cracks covered by the cement. Suddenly I realized that some cracks used to be cracks, but it looks not now. So I try to imagine the original cracks behind the cement and restore them. Then I fold the whole paper like the shape of stairs. What I want to do during the presentation is to offer a gray crayon to the audience and then to cover the cracks with it. Therefore, we can feel the history of the cracks, and there are cracks hidden by history.


6 Another failure(Boston common) 

Last Thursday was rainy all day, so I thought I have a good idea that I can use to rain to make the paper wet, thus present the depth of the cracks meanwhile I can draw its real size. Like we have discussed in the class, it became a little embarrassing when I put the paper on the floor and press it hard, even a lady took a picture of me...


However, it was not as successful as I thought. Anyway, failure is important, so I was gonna keep it.


7 cracks and my life(Winthrop Rd)



What this crack attract me at first, was its length. It was huge. I found the shape of it quite familiar and it took me some time to figure out.


Because of the trade war between China and America, the RMB exchange rate plummeted so crazily in August, all the international students who was going to America felt sad about their pocket, my friend said my face was like an emoji frog when I am sitting in front of the computer watching the rate.

So, I want this work to be interesting and also connect to my personal experience, I made another cover of the work.

the poor frog with tears in his eyes


When they combine together, it can be a reproduction of my life experience, and can also be understood as someone watching the falling stock, feels like winter is coming.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham