Wise Words from Uncle Iroh


quote context (via Google Images)

I feel like it might be necessary to explain where the quote came from, its meaning, and why I chose it.  The quote comes from the fictional character Uncle Iroh from animated shows Avatar: The Last Airbender and the sequel show The Legend of Korra.  The quote comes from The Legend of Korra when he’s having a conversation with the series protagonist: a teenage girl named Korra.  The quote summarizes Iroh’s journey as a character.  He was once a respected military leader and next in line to be ruling monarch in his royal family.  However, during a siege Iroh was leading, his son who was a soldier out on the front lines, was killed.  Iroh then retreated in grief, let his younger brother Ozai take the throne, and went a spiritual journey that changed his outlook on the world.  This led to him to stop aspiring for power and it’s when he started treating his nephew and son of Ozai, Prince Zuko, as his own son.  When Zuko was banished by his father, Iroh accompanied him until Zuko could return home.  Iroh stood by Zuko’s side through every hardship because he wanted to, even when Zuko disrespected Iroh and didn’t want him around.  The meaning of the quote can be viewed as if one is going through hard times, sometimes helping others can help you better deal with your own issues.  By making someone else feel better, it might make you feel better as well. I chose this quote because I think it can play into the mission of the Media Design program: improving lives for people in a community.  Maybe it can also help myself.

When it came to employing the six principles, I took it seriously.  Since I studied Graphic Design in my undergrad, I was very keen on the details.  I chose to stick with one font per poster since adding more felt unnecessary personally.  I felt just the text and background color were necessary, without the need for drop shadows or strokes on the text and only one or two background colors.  I made sure to have equal spacing between the lines of text to remain consistent due to my unfortunate desire for perfectionism.  The anchoring concept for the posters was to break up the words in different arrangements and make them flow from one end of the poster to another.  The font choices were vital, with one being the same font from the shows.  The others felt like they evoked an Asian culture feeling, which was appropriate since both shows draw from those cultures for their setting. Overall, it was fun including a quote from one of my favorite fictional characters from my favorite shows for this project.  There’s still an unfortunate stigma against animation being “just for kids”, when it can have wisdom and lessons that apply to adults.

Poster inspired by the title cards with official text

Second poster with calligraphy-like text

Third poster with a gradient and wavy paint stroke text

Comments

  1. I love the quote you chose for this assignment. Uncle Iroh is a very wise character and the quote you picked is very appropriate. I can tell how much it means to you and your textual expression reflects that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul!
    I like your quote very much! In China, there is also an ancient quote with the same meaning.
    My favorite is the white one you designed. The white background against the black font, the font design, the quotation marks, and the white space in the middle make me feel like a movie voiceover. It was as if someone had whispered it in my ear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham