Americas Next Top (Dog) Model

Jackie and Bryce. 5"x7"
Originally, my photo series was going to center around Jackie, my boyfriend's dog, playing around in the backyard. Beside being photogenic, Jack is the perfect mix of obedient and mischievous to make a good model. However, as I started shooting, I began to like the shots that also included my boyfriend as well; I like that the finished exhibition demonstrates their dynamic. In this first photo, Jackie is sitting and posing in a pretty regal manner, and Bryce is kind of candidly looking on from the back with a proud expression.

Jackie keeps watch. 4"x6"

I experimented with perspective in this shot that I took from the back porch. We joke that if Jackie was a person he would be a secret service agent -- he loves to keep watch and protect us. I think this photo demonstrates that. Bryce is scrolling through his phone and Jackie is making sure no unforeseen threats are approaching.
Jackie's Perspective. 11"x14"
Jackie's Perspective before edits. 

In this photo I tried to capture the feeling that we were seeing the scene through Jackie's eyes. It was taken at a low level in a particularly overgrown corner of the yard. This shot was particularly hard to capture because Jack does not like people trying to sneak up behind him. I also do not know if the finished product completely captured the feeling I was trying to evoke. Jackie is a pretty fluffy dog and so I cannot tell how easily this photo reads as the back of his head. For this photo, and all of my photos, I spent most of my time editing adjusting the brightness, levels, curves, and hue and saturation. I wanted to make the photos look natural, but bring out some colors that seemed to be drawn out from the overcast weather. I chose this photo to be the largest print because I thought it best captured the theme of the photos overall. 
Jackie Detail, 8"x10"
During the editing process, I found it difficult to choose a photo to be black and white. Many of my photos were noisy; there was a lot of texture, a lot of elements floating around in the crowded background of the backyard. I think the detail shot translated best to this. Even though there is still a lot of texture, there is a clear focus of the photo because it is such a clear shot, and thus I think it is easier to read.
Jackie Explores. 4"x6"


In the photo above I like that the greenery acts as white space and Jackie's dark body contrasts heavily with it. Jackie also acts as the off-center focus point, and I emphasized that by cropping this photo to the same aspect ratio while editing, but also ensuring that Jackie's body aligned with the "rule of thirds" grid you can overlay on Photoshop.

Jackie and Bryce, 4"x6"
This photo was somewhat manufactured. I wanted to photograph Bryce in front of the brick wall because I liked the way his sweater echoed the gridded pattern of the bricks. I told Bryce to go in front of the wall and Bryce started flipping over these cinder blocks that just kind of exist in his back yard. Jack was very interested; it was a very damp day and Jack was interested in sniffing the bugs we found, including a very alarmed snail. I think that it continues to demonstrate the way Jackie and Bryce interact, and I like the way the various lines and patterns interact with each other visually.

Porch photo. 5"x7"
After I had decided I had enough shots, we headed back upstairs to go inside. Jack was being stubborn and did not want to come with us (he thoroughly enjoyed modeling for treats). I snapped this last minute photo while Bryce called Jackie to come up the stairs. I was on the staircase, in an in-between point of Jackie and Bryce, and I like the way the porch separates the photo into two planes; there is a clear above and below.
Window installation.

In class I exhibited my photos straight onto the window in the classroom. I liked the way that the brick wall outside played with the brick wall in some of my photos. I think that if I were to exhibit the same photos again I would have printed my smaller prints larger, because I think the small format was a bit hard to read, especially in such a dark exhibition space. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham