Boston Commons



The full installation

My approach for shooting photos was looking around the Boston Commons for
something I personally though might make a good subject for a photo.  I chose to focus on two subjects, a tennis court and a gazebo.  The tennis court was used for the wide establishing shot, the middle shot, and the close-up detail shot.  The gazebo was used for the centered object shot and the off-center object shot.  I probably could have explored more and found other subjects, but I just liked how the photos were going and stuck to those two subjects.  The last photo was one including ourselves in the shot to some degree.  I easily could have just shown my feet or hands, but instead I opted for my face.  I practically never take selfies, so it was interesting to do something different.
When it came to editing the photos, I primarily messed with the hue/saturation slider to
create some trippy effects.  The more radical example can be seen in my selfie, while more tame examples are of the gazebo.  I also made the detailed fence black and white because I just felt it looked fitting for the shot.  There was also a fair amount of cropping on each photo to get rid of unnecessary empty space, specially stretches of grass and sky.  It was actually really fun messing with the saturation, lighting, shadows, etc. to create some wild colors. Messing around to see what happens and deciding if it sticks has always been something I enjoy doing in Photoshop.
I chose those specific images to present in class because they turned out the best among
the other images I had.  Some shots did have to be redone a few times and edits did go through different phases, and I’m pleased with the results.  I thought these images were the more interesting ones to look at for a display.  When it came to arranging them for my installation, the layout was intended.  The selfie in the middle, with the tennis court to the right and below, and the gazebo to the left, arranged in a somewhat symmetrical was on purpose.  I like certain things to be arranged in a particular manner, and this desire spills into my perfectionism when using Photoshop.  This assignment was fun because I enjoy walking around the commons looking for a subject I want to photograph.  Luckily, I was able to get all the pictures I wanted before it started raining heavier that Thursday last week.


Before and after editing in Photoshop

 



 




  




  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham