PEOPLE SUFFER FROM IMAGINATION



This week, we focused on the typography poster design, in which we were not allowed to add photos or shapes. At first, I found it a bit challenging when we had to design under certain restrictions, but later I liked the idea that it provides a new perspective to explore the process of arts and design. 

The quote I chose is “we suffer more from imagination than that in reality,” said ancient Roma philosopher Lucius Annaeus Seneca. It is one of my favorite quotes as well. I am a fan of “Minimalism,” as you can see from the designs, so I prefer to use black and white in typography. For each design, I left some white space as I wanted people to focus more on the quote itself. Black and white are classic colors shaping visual contrast. Another reason I did not use color is that this is not a quote that makes people feel happy, rather, this is a quote that could provoke people into deep thinking.
1 "Imagination, growing like the grass"

In the first design, I happened to find a nice-looking font in photoshop. I wanted to highlight the “imagination” here. The idea of enlarging the “T” is because I wanted to break the rule of a line. When the T became larger I found it looks like the grass and that is why I change it into the green color. I put the adjusted “in” on the T, which looks like a person sitting on the grass and thinking. I want it to be more figurative.



2 "Imagination in the brain"


I spent some time designing the second one. I was inspired by the quote and I want to show the concept of “imagination” in the human brain. We might have a lot of things in our mind, but imagination is the biggest thing among them. In terms of alignment and proximity, I did not put the words into a line, the proximity between each words also varies from one to one. I want the words to look more “fluid” in the brain. Here, each word was repeatedly used many times.



3.1 Imagination = ? + Reality


As to the third one, I think it looks more balanced than the previous two in terms of proximity and Alignment. However, there is also two contrasts: black and grey; a single word as a line and the rest words of the quote as a line. If we turn the paper left or right, it makes a different visual experience for the audience.


3.2 Imagination = ? + Reality


The last design is a leverage which shows the “weight” of imagination and reality. The concept of the quote is abstract, but I want to show the imagination is heavier than the reality which explains the idea of “suffer more.” I found myself tend to design more concretely rather than think abstractly. In addition, the grey color on the right is a bit lighter than that on the left. The words "in more" and "than that in" are unevenly distributed (proximity & alignment) as I want to show the "sway" of the leverage.

4 Imagination > Reality?




5 Designs in classroom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham