Stop and Smell the Tide

Noah Braun Presents

Stop and Smell the Tide



Can you find the beauty in the mundane? Can you stop and look at an average situation and find its value? That was the goal that I was working for on my trip to the laundromat. I was sitting there, waiting for my clothes to wash, when i realized it was a perfect chance for a photo shoot.

Setting the Scene

This laundromat in particular was just down the street from where I live. I had only been there once before, and it's not the most fantastic place to visit. I have a habit of bringing my laundry home once a month, so I only carry a light load from my apartment.

Photo of Self
The perspective I wanted to take is essentially a self-insert for a place as normal as this. I wanted to get the feeling that I was alone in this building and trying to find something to do as I the clothes wash. I deliberately avoided showing other people in these photos so I could get that isolation.



This is one of the off center edits where I played with the saturation to help make the brand stand out.





There is an artist called Andy Warhol that took pieces of commercial products as repurposed them as art. His famous example was using the Campbell's soup cans and redrawing them as paintings. I find a lot of my art and photography is very similar to him, as seen in these photos of Tide.

Andy Warhol Campbell's Soup
I had two different ways of displaying these photos. I tried shooting the photos in a heavy sunlight to help "shine a light" on this setting. Another I used a marker to help outline the importance of these photos. For this blog I decided to go with the lighting effect since it looked more professional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham