Tears in Rain

in presentation

I choose this quote from my favorite scene from the movie Blade Runner. Blade Runner is not my favorite movie but the scene is my favorite moment among all the movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU&t=2s

In the movie, The dying replicant Roy Batty delivers the lines to Rick Deckard, whose life Batty has just saved, despite the fact that Deckard was sent to retire him. The scene occurs during a heavy downpour of rain, moments before Batty's own death. Reflecting on his experiences and imminent mortality he says:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. 
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. 
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. 
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. 
Time to die.

Written by David Peoples and altered by Hauer (the actor of Roy Batty) from the scripted lines the night before filming, the monologue is frequently quoted; critic Mark Rowlands described it as "perhaps the most moving death soliloquy in cinematic history". And it also shocked me a lot and then became my favorite quote from movies.
Another reason that I chose this quote is that 2019, this year, is also the setting background of the Blade Runner, that’s a cool coincidence and can easy to lead people thinking.

So the purpose of my work this time is to try to convey my feeling of the scene. I try to rebuild the atmosphere in the movie.

1 HARD RAIN_

18"x24"

This one was my favorite. I capture the color of the scene, which is deep blue, then I use it as the background color. Sumi recommended a font website at slack and that was useful, I downloaded the Blade Runner fonts there.

The part I love most is to turn the commas to the raindrops. When I was typing, I just type one more comma for a mistake, but suddenly, that inspired me, the repetition of those commas can be the raindrops, which can create the shape meanwhile obey the rules. It also follows the principle of repetition.

I thought maybe I can make the shape of comma softer and more like rain, finally, I gave up because the sense of hard is also my feeling about this movie.

The red color for the bottom fonts is from the theme color of Blade Runner2049, which is a great sequel in my opinion.


2 BLUR_ 

12"x10"


I choose the font first, want to create effects like the ripples of rains. Then the hardest part for me is to pick the color, I tried many and it doesn’t look well. Finally, I chose three different colors and let them blur to make a sense of ambiguous, which was inspired by Chitra’s work last week. Finally, I add a light effect to make it more stereoscopic.


3 MACHINE_

8"x7"

The theme of this one is cyberpunk style, I want to try this effect for a long time. I searched the internet for how to make this. The problem arrived when I need to create an old machine effect by offsetting two different RGB channel layers because we need to use CMYK mode to type the poster. So, it cost me a lot of time to try. It’s lucky that the outcome is not bad.

Comments

  1. Hi ken! I like your idea of designing “tears in rain”. It is interesting to learn how you set up different backgrounds for tears and rains to express how you feel about the scene in the movie. The second design is impressive! When the blurred words merged into the black background, it feels like “shaking.” The third design reminds me of the old printing machine and subtitles on the old black and white television screen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham