Wandering in the city

This week, we focused on shooting a scene or event. The photography assignment requires us to take photos within certain restrictions such as medium distance or close-up. As I was wandering in the city this weekend, I found many interesting things that I did not pay attention to before. 

In general, the six photos I took did not relate a lot to storytelling. I think it is more about the feeling that each scene or construction gives to the audience. For each composition, I choose the best one I shoot at weekends.




The scene-establishing photo was taken in Allston, because I feel like the roads on both sides of the Common Avenue Associates building gives me a sense of “extension.” So at that time I was standing on the opposite of the building, taking the photo, and trying to capture the sunset, which I believe would give the audience an idea of the whole scene. 




The medium distance photo is the tree falling down on the ground after a night’s rain and wind. I wanted to include the root because it also showed the way the tree fall down. 




I happened to find the interesting fire when I walked pass a restaurant at night, where I took the close-up photo. I was standing pretty close to the fire and I think it was a good spot for shooting. There was no other light around, which made the fire to be the only light source in the photo. 




The symbol was put in the center of the photo. It is a public construction and there was not not many other things around, so I think it would not be odd if I put it in the center. I choose this one and adjusted it into black and white. In the original photo, the color of the symbol is light, while the surroundings are dark, so it is easier to highlight the construction without being all dark shadows. I also adjusted the contrast in the photoshop. 





Next is the scene I took in copley. I happened to find this cool sports car parking on the street, and I think it would be a nice view with sunshines, green trees and century-old buildings background. I cropped it bit to so that the car can be on the right corner. I did not do any adjustment in color of this photo as the white car and the red constructions are good contrast. 




Last one is the one I include myself in the photo. With the tree that is sloping, I just thought it would be an interesting idea if there is something sloping from the other side, and I used my fingers. 





I put the photos in a symmetrical way on the white board, with colorful stickers on the corners. I did not want to use the sticker of the same color for all photos, as the style of these photos also vary from one to one. If you pay attention to the photo in the center, which is the fire photo, you will find I put it upside down, so it looks like a “inverted triangle”. Meanwhile, the way I put the photos also shapes a big inverted triangle as a whole. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham