Boston Landmark Commission

The Boston City Council has a landmark commission that meets to evaluate the number of historical buildings in the city that needs to be restored using city funds. This commission has a selection process of 3 to 4 landmarks that require restoration and the commission members then get to vote for them to authorize works.
The commission meets at the city hall's 9th floor building and the public are allowed to observe the deliberation of the commission. The landmark buildings are put up on a screen and there was a lady who was explaining all the their merits to the commission and the public. The meeting was led by a chairlady who held the power in the room.


I chose this meeting because I come from a country where there is very little government decisions that are open to the public. Most pf the decisions are concluded behind closed doors and the public informed of the outcome. In this meetings had the feeling that it was the same way too because the commission members seemed to have already made up their mind on the buildings to be restored.


I decided to go with making a zine for this assignment because I was curios after seeing the presentation in class on the zine making process for the council meetings of the North Adams City. This is something that seemed hard at first to do but I still wanted to try it out seeing that its a skill that I would have wanted to learn this time to use later on in producing information.

I started off by taking pictures of the meeting to show the people who were in it. The chairlady, her commission and the public. When I got home. I started first by looking over the notes I had taken in the meeting and deciding which was the best ones to use. I arranged all the thoughts I had and started first by using word document to create two tables that I expanded to look like two pages of a book. From here I started to create the zine by using an image of the city council building and the commission meeting and date.
I then went ahead to carefully write my information on the designated pages that I had selected. For example, while creating a zine, page 1 and 2 are not on the same slide while designing it. My page one was corresponding to page 7. My first page was covered by the front cover of Boston city council building and a huge image of the word Boston to show the city where the zine was made.
I wanted the zine to tell a story of the meeting and that's how I laid out the pictures in black and white because it was a dark room and there were no people of color represented in this meeting even though most of these renovation was in their neighborhoods.










I wanted the zine to tell a story of the meeting and that's how I laid out the pictures in black and white because it was a dark room and there were no people of color represented in this meeting even though most of these renovation was in their neighborhoods.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham