Earrings - A Process

 The process I have chosen was the development of Earrings my friend creates. I selected this process as a way to work further with my friend and fellow artist to give us yet another opportunity to explore art together. This project was close to me as we are both artists, and collaborate together often, so this was another opportunity to expand our artwork together, and we were able to work simultaneously both on the earrings and on this photography process.
The approach taken here was almost a documentary point of view. I designed this process less about her, and more about the creation and idea process on how the earrings are created. This series follows more of the birth of the earring.
The edits made were color correction, lighting changes and focus. I changed focus on less obvious places to look to see a different point of view (per example Earrings Stage 3 focus & sharpness on reflections).
I shot close to 100 photos, engaging in different angles and looks and point of views. Ultimately, I decided that the focus, or muse should be the earrings. I decided to take the clay itself, and follow the creators story as the earrings became fully realized.
The most challenging thing about this assignment was finding the right moment of story to identify the needs of this skeleton. Some images focused more on the individual, or the studio itself. It was hard finding the right story for this in the beginning. Some exploring of "What do I want these photos to say" crossed my mind.

Stage 2: Organization
Stage 3: Color & Shape
Stage 4: Utensils 
Stage 4: Utensils
Stage 5: Bun in the Oven
Stage 5: Bun in the Oven

Stage 6: Accessorize
Stage 7: Links


BEFORE PICTURE & OUTTAKES

Here are 3 outtakes that almost made the cut! But I decided the others were a bit stronger.

From outside - the oven

Surrounding studio - instruments

 
Lastly, this is my before and after photo
Stage Two: Organization






Comments

  1. Hi Drew,

    I really like the reflective shot you got in the 3rd photo, because it adds a sort of "3rd dimension" to your 2d photos. I also think you captured the glare of the oven light perfectly in the 5th photo because it shows the frame of reference of what you have on the tray vs the size of the oven. It's framed really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew,

    I love that you picked such a creative process to shoot. It's impressive that you're familiar with the process of creating earrings out of clay. Using clay added so much color to your photos, and I especially like your fourth photo of a bird's eye look over the shoulder of the person making the earrings. The colors stand out in the wide angle view of the creation process, and give the viewer insight about what the photographer was seeing first-hand.

    It is clear that you pushed the boundaries creatively with the project, evidenced by the range of photos you ended with. I noticed in your outtakes you feature a photo of the window of the oven. It is small details like these that I also became more aware of when shooting the processes I selected for the project. Starting with the subject of the photos, your clay, and ending with a completely transformed version of the clay added a clear narrative as to what you were capturing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham