Faces & Vases - Drew Genova

 I have drawn the faces & vases piece 3 times. The first time it was incredibly difficult to not see the left face - which is exactly what the article said I would have complications with. However, I wanted to show my process when developing the face, and how my brain had difficulties switching from R to L

However, in the upside down drawing - I put my headphones on and put on lo-fi music so I can concentrate. Suddenly, my brain could only see the lines of the drawing, and totally eliminated the man himself. Once I figured that out, I was able to draw him successfully. I was so proud of my work because he is fully realized. When you flip him right side up, you can see a man sitting. It was interesting to draw this way - as I deconstructed this image, and only created a line-for-line drawing, without necessarily knowing the final product.


Comments

  1. I love the layering of the three faces! It's visually interesting and does highlight the optical illusion/cognitive processing that goes into producing art. I think your note about "not knowing the final product" is also really interesting -- as artists I think we are sometimes torn between executing a specific concept and allowing our work to evolve naturally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham