Social Justice Posters

 I have chosen the Trans movement. While a member of this group of people, it felt important to me to utilize this time to talk about what trans is, how big the umbrella is and to start advocating for these rights. I decided to utilize the popular statement within political trans organizations, Trans Rights Are Human Rights. I kept the colors of the trans pride flag by using it for the first letter of each word. In theory, I want the reader to look at this and see less of an political statement and more of a person. The soft blue and pink middles by the dark grey stand out.

In this project, I focused on graphic design principles Alignment, Repetition, Contrast, White Space, and Hierarchy. Each image and poster is sized differently for utilization purposes. See below for my descriptions of how I developed these designs.

11x7 Poster. Here is the center Alignment where afar is highlighted by TRAHR, I decided to use this format as a way to stack or make all the words look even among each other. I took the black font away and used a grey font. Black made a much bolder fiercer statement. This project is designed to bring the softness, and vulnerability to the trans lives movement.

Here is a smaller poster. This is to be used for handout graphics, something a person can walk away with. This is designed so the reader can walk away with the typography in hand. Leaving room to discuss outside of the art installation and to begin a telephone trend of one person telling another.

The 8x10 is used by a hierarchy design. Rights is the biggest text here as with many marginalized groups RIGHTS are what we strive for within equity and inclusion. I made this poster 8x10 for smaller spaces, so when the reader sees this there is a bit more question. Why are rights larger, and why is it sticking out to me. Is there a reason it's being placed in a personal space, and what more can I do to help this movement.

Comments

  1. Hi Drew,

    I love how thoughtfully you incorporated typography principles into your work, and how you experimented with different formats across your three posters. The way you articulated your process also integrates viewer point of view well, and how each poster can engage a person cognitively. Your writing really captures both the personal and political impacts of your posters, and "Trans Rights Are Human Rights" as a statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew,

    What I liked about all three of your posters the most was what they had in common. The blue coloring starting on the first letters of "trans" and the 2nd "rights" and the pink coloring on the first letters of "human" and the 1st rights". Matching them together by color, you get "trans rights" and "human rights". What ties them together, and completes the circle of your point, is having the middle word "are" be a different color(black). Once you put the matching colors together and have the unmatching color in the middle, it's another way to read "trans rights are human rights", outside of just reading the sentence as is. I'm sure that was intentional and I thought it was a nice touch/extra layer to your designs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham