Still Life Drawing - Sydney Angove
Still Life Drawings - Sydney Angove
For this week's assignment, I decided to draw something that is familiar to me and that I interact with almost daily. An avocado. This inspiration is spurred from the idea that this class has called my attention to, that being, that finding unique perspectives is foundational to being a successful designer. Every day there is a choice to see something old for the first time, and I decided to take this theory and look more closely at this object.
Drawing One: Pen
I have found that a pen can be used as an effective tool for creating details and contrast. As I looked at my object, I noticed how much texture arises at the surface, and decided to use my pen to create a representation of the texture on the skin. Because creating contrast or depicting lighting is more challenging with a pen, I layered my pattern to make some areas darker than others and give the implication of contrast to accurately frame my object.
Drawing Two: Post-It
Each time I sat to draw my avocado, I shifted the perspective of the fruit. For my second drawing, I again used a pen but this time on a smaller scale. Looking at the same object in a smaller frame called more attention to the texture as I was more attentive to individual curves. This part of the exercise helped me understand how individual lines and curves shape an object. It is within the details of what we create that give a visual voice.
Drawing Three: Color
For whatever reason, I've always been uncomfortable drawing in color. Color has the ability to completely change the mood or meaning of a visual. I often think of the use of color filters in film as a tool to create an atmosphere in individual scenes. In consideration of my project, I found that again color changed my perspective of the avocado and a change of mood followed. Understanding my object as a bright range of colors shifted my perspective to notice more color in my kitchen, foods, and the surrounding environment.
Drawing Four: Pencil
Drawn to the dynamic effect of lighting, I was inspired to use this project as an opportunity to capture lighting and how it changes an object. In contrast to my previous drawings, I found this one to take on a completely different mood. Casting shadows are often used to capture dark or intense moments, and I found this to be true in this case although my object was simply an avocado.
This project created divisions for me as a creator as to the options available for any particular project. I was challenged to think beyond the intuitive interpretation and see my object in a new light. I believe that this process is important for creators to create an atmosphere that accurately represents their desired effect.
Comments
Post a Comment