Handheld Media - Graham Rutherford
The topic I selected is Voter Registration - specifically changing your voting registration. It's especially relevant to me seeing as I just moved states and had to go through the whole process of re-registering to vote. It's also relevant because it's at the time of a crucial election where registering to vote is at an all time high. My audience is for those who haven't voted, are voting and have moved, or are changing political parties. I decided to do it as simplified as possible and with pictures so it might be more visually appealing to people. I also chose red and blue for most of the colors because they're representative of our countries colors and you see it everywhere around election time. I selected my format/medium because it involved one that I wasn't that great at(drawing/arts & crafts). I really enjoyed the zine we did earlier this week and I'm already fairly well-versed in photoshop/indesign so I decided to challenge myself with an unfamiliar medium. I decided to go "somewhere in between" with my design principles because I really liked the balance of the two. The more colorful pages I tried to center everything in terms of alignment and have everything balanced. The less colorful pages I just decided to go with a simple design but didn't pay attention to design principles. The part of the process that surprised me was how my drawings came out, I was pleasantly surprised with them. It's shown me that my skills have increased and I'm pretty happy with that.








Hi Graham,
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting topic to chose considering the election coming soon. Your intentions of simplification are a key aspect for audiences who are considering to vote or update their registration. I know I sometimes get anxious when I have to deal with complicated processes so your layout makes the process look less intimidating which can influence your targeted audience to register. Including the different ways you can register is considerate for people who may have a preference and/or may find some more convenient than others. I also appreciate the images you included to pace out the zine.