Handheld Media - Melody Hsu

"For those like me with ties to the international school community and/or receiving education abroad as an international student, it’s time we step up. Our experiences taught us a lot, but it also made us complacent. We embody the privileges that are embedded within our ability to assimilate in countries in which we reside as we curate our own global existence by cherry-picking their culture and living experiences. A lot of the times we let things we know are inappropriate go unchecked because we feel it’s not our place, or that the issue does not pertain to us. That has to stop now.

We’ve seen the world, now we have to make it better. We can no longer proudly rep our internationality without claiming any baggage of racial injustice and systematic inequalities. Our knowledge gives us power - our perspective as global citizens. So let’s talk about it. How can we do more?"

I wrote the above statement on June 8th, 2020, amidst the Black Lives Matter protests. It is the reason why I have selected my topic - “Advice on How to Talk to your Asian Parents about Black Lives Matter.” This assignment is my way of doing more. I believe that the Black Lives Matter movement is international, and as a global citizen, I have the responsibility to respond and contribute. 

My audience is mainly Asian international students who have parents/ families back home that speak a different language other than English. I feel that as an Asian international student, our experiences are vastly different from Asian-Americans, though we usually get grouped into the same category. Since May, I've been educating myself on how I should be approaching the Black Lives Matter movement as an ally, and I realized there are not enough resources for international students specifically. 

Photo by Melody Hsu:

Black and white photograph of two signs made out of cardboard. Both signs have “International Students for Black Lives” painted on it in all caps. The signs are held by two pairs of hands, but the photograph is cropped above the head so the identities of the two people holding up the signs remain unknown.

"This is our fight too."

Since the start of the ongoing protests, I have had countless conversations with my friends across the world who share the same beliefs and backgrounds as me. It became apparent that we all have an extremely difficult time attempting to communicate with our parents back home why we care deeply about this issue and why they should too. Thus, I created this media as a resource for myself and others like me who have felt frustrated, misunderstood, and angry in the past few months.

For this specific brochure I produced, I chose to use Traditional Chinese as an example as it is most personal and relevant to me. It is important to note that this media could be reproduced and made available in other Asian languages by switching out the letter to another from Letters for Black Lives.

Brochure Content:

Page 1 of the brochure 5” x 5.5” - title page. The background is pastel pink, leaning towards grey color. Bold text states “Advice on (pastel pink font): How to Talk to your Asian Parents about Black Lives Matter(off white font)”. The title is printed on top of a dark grey speech bubble design. On the right bottom corner, the creator’s name and email address. Melody Hsu. Melody_hsu@emerson.edu. Something to note about this brochure is that there are text cutouts on top which say “International” on the tallest page, “Students” on the second tallest, and “for Black Lives” on the shortest. Each individual letter is cut out and when the brochure is folded, it overlays creating visual depth for the media.Page 2 of the brochure 5” x 6”. When you open the brochure from the left side, this is the first page you see on the left. Pastel pink background. Two speech bubbles. One overlapping the other in white outline as an icon graphic. The text is in dark grey. Writes TITLE: EDUCATE YOURSELF FIRST. It is our responsibility to learn the facts and check our own biases, before approaching our parents. So let’s talk about it. What is systemic racism? What does it actually mean to be anti-racist? What is our role in this movement as an international student? As an Asian, what does it mean to be an ally? TITLE: BE EMPATHETIC. We have to learn how to put our pride aside and engage in these conversations with empathy. These tough conversations can sometimes trigger a lot of emotions. Our parents may be resistant at first. We will have some uncomfortable silences, but these conversations require our patience and understanding. When we bring up topics of racism with family, be aware we may be exposing generations of deeply rooted beliefs. We need to acknowledge the differences as making our parents feel like their morals and values are being judged, would be the wrong way to approach these conversations.Page 3 of the brochure 5” x 5.5”. This is the page across from the previous one. Dark Grey background. TITLE: PROTESTING DURING A PANDEMIC? It is essential to recognize and evaluate the risks we are exposing ourselves to when we chose to join the protests during the COVID pandemic as an international student. The fact is, we are at a disadvantage when it comes to having rights and fair access to insurance/health care. But there are still many other ways we can safely support the movement. Remember, we must advocate for what we believe is right, but we cannot sacrifice blindly. An infographic cuts between the text. It is an infographic from ABC News, TITLED: protesting safely during a pandemic. Icons correspond to the texts. From top left to right: wear a face mask, stay home if you feel sick, bring only supplies you need to stay safe. From right top to bottom: Get tested for COVID-19 within 5 days of protesting, assume you’ve been exposed to COVID-19, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, keep a social distance from others outside your group. From bottom left to right: plan ahead: map the route, exit, and detours, avoid contact with high-risk family members and friends after protesting. Left top to bottom: carry squirt bottles of soapy water and tap water, for pepper spray exposure, go with a small group. Middle: use noisemakers, drums, or signs instead of shouting. This infographic has a pastel pink background, outlines are dark blue.
Page 1, 2, and 3

Page 4 of the brochure 5” x 6”. When you close the brochure and open it from the right side, this is the page on the left. Off white background. The top image is the same black and white photograph described above. Black and white photograph of two signs made out of cardboard. Both signs have “International Students for Black Lives” painted on it in all caps. The signs are held by two pairs of hands, but the photograph is cropped above the head so the identities of the two people holding up the signs remain unknown. Below are the dark grey texts. TITLE: COMBATTING THE LANGUAGE BARRIER. Sometimes language barriers limit the depth of conversation we are capable of having with our parents. Especially when it comes to anti-racism and the Black Lives Matter Movement, we’re unsure how to translate specific vocabularies. This is a great resource - Letters for Black Lives is a “set of crowdsourced, multilingual, and culturally-aware resources aimed at creating a space for open and honest conversations about racial justice, police violence, and anti-Blackness in our families.” On the next page is an edited and shortened version of the letter in Traditional Chinese for your convenience. You can also visit https://lettersforblacklives.com/ for the full-length letter and letters in other languages.Page 5 of the brochure 5” x 7”. Across from the previous page, on the right side is this page. It has a dark grey background and off white texts. The top is a letter icon graphic with a heart on the paper coming out of the envelope. The texts are in Chinese, it is the letter mentioned on the previous page. This letter roughly translates to: This is an edited version of the open letter created by Letters for Black Lives, an ongoing crowdsourced project aimed at creating a space for open and honest conversations about racial justice, police violence, and anti-Blackness in our families and communities. We need to talk. You may not have many Black friends, colleagues, or acquaintances, but I do. Black people are a fundamental part of my life: they are my friends, my neighbors, my family. I am scared of them. Recently, in Minnesota, a white police officer killed a Black man named George Floyd by kneeling on his neck for almost 9 minutes — ignoring his repeated cries of “I can’t breathe.” Two more police officers helped pin Floyd down, while a fourth, Asian officer stood guard. Floyd is not alone. Overwhelmingly, the police haven’t faced consequences for murdering Black people, even when there’s been extensive media coverage. Imagine how many more incidents go unrecorded or unseen. This is a terrifying reality that Black people live with every day. You might be thinking: We are also a minority. We’ve managed to built lives for ourselves despite discrimination, so why can’t they? I want to share with you how I see things. I am telling you this, because I want all of us, including myself, to do better. When we walk down the street, people do not view us as a threat. We do not wonder whether or not we will return that day. We don’t fear that we may die if we’re pulled over by the police. This is not the case for our Black friends. The vast majority of Black Americans are descendants of people who were sold into slavery. Even after slavery, the government has not allowed them to build their lives — it has legally denied them the right to vote, get an education, or own homes and businesses. Their oppression has not ended; it has only changed form. Black people have not only persisted but also persevered against all odds. They’ve been beaten by police, jailed, and killed while fighting for many of the rights that we all have today. I understand that you’re worried and scared about the looting and property destruction that you are seeing. But imagine how to hurt you would be to see other people express more care for replaceable material objects than for the lives of your loved ones. How to hurt you must be to protest like this in the middle of a pandemic. Imagine the exhaustion of fighting against the same state violence that your ancestors fought against. This is why I support the Black Lives Matter movement. Part of that support means speaking up when I see people in my community — even my own family — say or do things that diminish the humanity of Black people. Our silence has a cost. These struggles also make it clearer than ever that we are all in this together, and we cannot feel safe until our Black friends, loved ones, and neighbors are safe. The world that we seek is a place where we can all live without fear. This is the future that I want — and I hope you want it, too. With love and hope, Your childrenPage 6 of the brochure 5” x 7”. This is the back of the brochure. Off white background. This page is designed like a postcard horizontal to the page. On the right half, the square for the stamp on the top right corner is shaded pastel pink. So are the lines below it for writing. On the left half, there is a black and white photograph by Mike Von. The photograph entails a woman standing tall holding a sign that says “Asians for Black Lives” with a fist graphic. Surrounding her are other protesters, some are standing and some are kneeling. This image is half covered at the bottom with a translucent off white colored box. Inside the box are references that you can also find at the bottom of this article.
Page 4, 5, and 6

My friends and I have had too many "impossible" conversations with our families that left us emotionally drained. I designed this project in hopes of providing not just a resource, but also emotional support. Let this be a reminder that we are not alone, and no matter how hard it gets, these are the conversations worth having. 

"A little bit of change today is a step closer to a better tomorrow."

I chose to curate my message in the form of a brochure. On the back, it is a mailable postcard: sized 5” x 7”, qualifies for the USPS Standard Letter Rate or First Class Letter Rate. This design achieves my mission in presenting this media as a pocket-size guide and a symbol of support sent across the world between friends. The choice of using a brochure was also meaningful as it provided a balanced structural form to present my text-heavy information. The color scheme is soft and pastel, easy on the eye. Serving as a reminder that though the fight goes on and can get intense, we have to reserve space to rest and take care of our mental health. Avoid emotional exhaustion and information overload. The language used within is inclusive and neutral, speaks more from a self-care perspective, rather than emphasizing allyship. Overall, the design utilized multiple design principles: balanced proportions, a good sense of contrast but not too harsh, and clear visual hierarchy with bold titles. It also contains just enough white space to weigh out the texts, so it is not visually overwhelming.

The statement "International Students for Black Lives" are letter cutouts that give this brochure another touch of dimension. As an artist and designer, my work represents me no matter the context. Thus, this handheld media is more than informative - it is visually stimulating, aesthetically pleasing. I curated knowledge in such a way that could be put on display - serving as a continuous reminder, simultaneously drawing others' attention.

Brochure:

Image of a hand holding the brochure in it’s completed, cutout, form. The background is a concrete floor.

"International Students for Black Lives" is a topic I feel and care deeply about. Though I anticipated the process to be somewhat challenging, I was nevertheless surprised by how tough emotionally this brochure was for me to make. I think it was because it's such a mattering topic that I've attached much of my personal experiences with, which made it difficult not to be too personal or emotional while making this brochure. Especially when editing the letter on page 5, having to experience this both in English and in Chinese somehow made me feel double the sting. To some extent, writing this letter in Chinese was harder as buried in the process was a combination of anger and frustration from my friends and me. There were so many reasons why I needed to make this handheld media - for others just like me, who feel invalidated for wanting to do the right thing.

"Thank you, mom and dad."

I have had a fair share of tough conversations and uncomfortable silence with my parents, but I am thankful they remained so open-minded and understanding. The last sentence on page 3 that says "we must advocate for what we believe is right, but we cannot sacrifice blindly" came from a specific conversation we had that I will forever hold close to my heart. It is my little tribute for this, and many more of our meaningful conversations.

At the end of the statement I wrote on June 8th, 2020, I wrote:

"I would like to take a moment to thank my parents. Thank you for your patience and for creating a safe space for open dialogue as I scramble to find the right words in Chinese to communicate my thoughts and feelings. Thank you for acknowledging and supporting my actions in fighting for what I believe in despite your worries and fears for my safety. Thank you for not only teaching but showing me “做人要有义气,但不能盲目牺牲。要知道自己真正的用途在哪里。” (You must have a sense of righteousness but do not sacrifice blindly. Know what your real purpose is leading you to do.) I’ve never been more proud to be your daughter."

Picture of Melody Hsu and her family from her Highschool graduation. From left to right: dad Norman Hsu, sister Alice Hsu, Melody Hsu, and mom Naomi Chen.

I hope they go on to inspire more parents, and I go on to inspire more children.

If you made it this far, thank you for your time. Keep having difficult conversations. Keep educating yourself. Choose to fight for what's right every day. You can never do enough.

___________________________________________________________________________________


References:

Letters for Black Lives, www.lettersforblacklives.com/.

"Letters for Black Lives | Inaugural ENG Letter." YouTube, uploaded by Letters for Black Lives, 11 Jul 2016, www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrR-8_odGh4&ab_channel=LettersforBlackLives.

Venkatraman, Sakshi. “How to Talk to Your Asian Immigrant Parents about Racism While Considering Their Lived Experiences.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 22 Sept. 2020, www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/how-talk-your-asian-immigrant-parents-about-racism-n1229411.

Comments

  1. Hi Melody,

    I really liked the color choices you made for your brochure which is, as you stated above, soft and pastel. I think it gives your brochure a warm and inviting feeling, which draws the reader in to a topic that they may or may not be familiar with. The hierarchy of the cutout letters "international students for black lives" was a really cool concept you added to it. Instead of just directly staring at the main text box you have on the front, it draws your attention to the top and forces you to read down, which I'm sure was your goal. The fact that you can mail it across the country is a nice touch too because it can be shared with people via the internet with pictures and offline by mailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody,

    This is such a thoughtful piece; I am awe struck by both the care of the design, and impactful message you chose to share. You strike a really amazing balance of highlighting BLM, and also sharing a piece of your experience. I'm particularly impressed that you did a bilingual publication; and that this can be shared with a large audience accordingly.

    The 3D/layered element really highlights what makes handheld media "special" -- it's an artifact that just wouldn't be the same if you were to publish the graphics digitally. I think people would treat this pamphlet with more care because of this, as your artful approach invokes delicacy in handling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handheld Media - Sydney Angove

Vases, Faces, and Little Princes

Social Justice Posters - Graham